Replace your sad desk lunch with this chargrilled eggplant and quinoa salad, straight from the Bikini Body Guide founder's new book.
Australian trainer and Instagram fitness phenomenon Kayla Itsines is well-known for helping countless women transform their bodies with her wildly popular 28-minute Bikini Body Guide workouts. (Try her do-anywhere full-body circuit for head-to-toe toning.) While her digital guide has always included a meal plan component, now she's taking things to the next level by publishing her first healthy eating and lifestyle book (which also includes a 28-day pull-out workout program), available now.
The book includes meal plans and over 200 simple-yet-interesting recipes ranging from 'Strawberries, Ricotta & Nutella Drizzle on Toast' to 'Zucchini Pasta Bolognese' and plenty of beautiful, mouth-watering photos to inspire you to nail those healthy eating resolutions. Luckily for us, Kayla shared with us the recipe for her chargrilled eggplant and quinoa salad to help make our lunch salads a little less sad in 2017. (Check out our 30-Day Shape Up Your Plate Challenge for Easy, Healthy Meal Planning for more inspo.)
Prep time: 10 Minutes
Cooking time: 15 Minutes
- 2 oz quinoa
- 1⁄4 medium eggplant, cut into 1⁄2-in thick slices
- oil spray
- 4 kalamata olives, pitted and sliced
- 1 small handful arugula leaves
- 5 1⁄4 oz tinned chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil leaves
- Freshly ground black pepper (optional)
- 1 oz salt-reduced low-fat feta cheese, crumbled
1. Place the quinoa and 2⁄3 cup of water in a saucepan over high heat and bring to the boil, stirring occasionally. Cover and reduce the heat to low. Simmer for 10–12 minutes until the liquid is absorbed and quinoa is tender.
2. Heat a barbecue grill-plate or chargrill pan over high heat.
3. Lightly spray the eggplant slices with oil spray. Grill for 4–6 minutes or until tender, turning occasionally. Set aside to cool.
To serve, place the quinoa, olives, arugula, chickpeas, basil, and eggplant in a serving bowl. Season with pepper if desired, and toss gently to combine. Sprinkle over the feta.
From The Bikini Body 28-Day Healthy Eating & Lifestyle Guide by Kayla Itsines. Copyright © 2016 by the author and reprinted by permission of St. Martin’s Press.