- Skill Level: Beginner
- Serves: 12
- Start to Finish: 1 hour, 45 minutes
- 152mg Sodium
- 49g Carbs
- 12g Fiber
- 17g Fat
- 9g Saturated Fat
- 10g Protein
- 122mg Calcium
- 7mg Iron
Swapping eggplant for butter or oil seems unconventional, but the juicy veggie adds a luxurious silkiness to these fudgy brownies, with less of the fat.
- Cooking spray
- 2 small (7 ounces each) eggplants, peeled, tops removed
- 11 ounces chopped dark chocolate
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons honey
- 3 eggs
- 3 1/2 cups cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup almond flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a 7-by-7-inch baking pan with parchment paper and lightly mist paper with cooking spray.
2. Prick eggplants with a fork and place on a microwave-safe plate. Microwave on high for 8 minutes, stopping occasionally to drain any liquids. Let cool completely (about 30 minutes at room temperature).
3. Place chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl and microwave on high at 20-second intervals, stirring completely after each round, until melted.
4. In a large bowl, mash eggplants and melted chocolate until well mixed. In a separate large bowl, mix honey, eggs, cocoa powder, almond flour, baking powder, and salt until combined. Add eggplant mixture and stir until just combined. Pour batter into prepared pan and bake 40 to 50 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out largely clean. Let cool completely before serving.
Recipe provided by Lee My of SugarplumGal.blogspot.com