Pie is known as one of America's favorite desserts. Although many pies are high in sugar and have a fat-filled buttery crust, if you know how to make pie the right way, they can be pretty healthy — especially when they feature fresh fruit. Don't believe us? The five pies below are SHAPE approved!
5 Healthy Pie Recipes
1. Peach-Blueberry Pie. Reduced-fat cream cheese and fresh peaches and blueberries are the secret to this healthy pie that has a deliciously crunchy topping!
2. Sweet Potato Pie with Whipped Topping. This one may make you think of Thanksgiving or Christmas, but it's delicious enough to make year-round. And the best part? It takes less than an hour to prepare and cook!
3. Hot Apple Pie. You don't get more American than apple pie. But instead of eating it, why not drink it? This low-calorie drink is the perfect after-dinner treat!
4. Dark Chocolate Pudding Pie with Candy Cane Frozen Yogurt. If you're a fan of the combination of mint and chocolate, this is your pie. This sweet and cool treat is refreshing — and you can feel good about getting healthy antioxidants from the dark chocolate!
5. Peanut Butter and Banana Pizza "Pie:" OK, so this recipe is a bit of a stretch to include, but this "pizza pie" was just too tasty not to include! With a to-make time of less than 20 minutes and only 113 calories per serving, it's a pie you can feel good noshing on!
Jennipher Walters is the CEO and co-founder of the healthy living websites FitBottomedGirls.com and FitBottomedMamas.com. A certified personal trainer, lifestyle and weight management coach and group exercise instructor, she also holds an MA in health journalism and regularly writes about all things fitness and wellness for various online publications.