Pie is known as one of America's favorite desserts. Although many pies are high in sugar and have a fat-filled buttery crust, if you know how to make pie the right way, they can be pretty healthy—especially when they feature fresh fruit. Don't believe us? Utilizing natural sweeteners, forgoing full-fat dairy (or using none at all), avoiding gluten, and calling for simple ingredients, the five pie recipes below are totally SHAPE approved! (Don't have time to bake before your next backyard bash? Try one of these Fruit-Centric Grill Recipes for a Sweeter Cookout.)
1. Peach-Blueberry Pie: Reduced-fat cream cheese and fresh peaches and blueberries are the secret to this healthy pie that has a deliciously crunchy topping!
2. Caramel Apple Pie: You don't get more American than apple pie. This caramel apple sweet treat from Happy Food Healthy Life is simple and delicious—just make sure to stock up on Granny Smiths at the market!
3. Sweet Potato Pie with Whipped Topping: This decadent sweet potato dessert may make you think of Thanksgiving or Christmas, but it's delicious enough to make year-round. And the best part? It takes less than an hour to prepare and cook!
4. Chocolate Pudding Pie: This decadent treat from Chocolate Covered Katie is lighter than you'd think—it can be sweetened with stevia, maple syrup, or honey.
5. No-Bake PB&J Pie: Free of dairy, gluten, and refined sugar, this classic take on peanut butter and jelly from the The Minimalist Baker is perfect for indulging without giving up on a diet.