Let's be honest, you might plan Taco Tuesday with the margaritas in mind (there are tons of ways to make margs healthy, after all!) but once you whip up these creative chicken tinga tacos, you'll crave them every day of the week. Chicken tinga, FYI, is a Mexican dish made with shredded chicken and a sauce made of tomatoes, onions, and spices. Instead of defaulting to your usual ground beef, pork, or other taco recipe, give this healthy twist from Gonzalo Rivera, executive chef at Copita in San Fransisco, a try. Yes, it might take a little extra time, but it'll be worth it for that oh-so-authentic flavor.
Chicken Tinga Tacos Recipe
Total time: 1 hour
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 yellow onion, sliced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoons dry oregano
1 bay leaf
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
8 plum tomatoes, diced
1/8 cup brown sugar
2 tablespoons chipotle paste
Meat from 1/2 roasted chicken, shredded
1 pack of 12 hot corn tortillas or cabbage leaves
Salt to taste
Corn or flour tortillas
1/4 cup shredded queso fresco (soft Mexican cheese found at your local Latino super store)
1 cup sour cream
1 avocado sliced
- In a medium saucepot, cook the onions in oil over high heat for 4 minutes. Add the garlic.
- Rub the oregano between hands. Add the oregano, bay leaves, cumin, tomatoes to pot and cook for 10 minutes on high heat.
- Add the brown sugar and chipotle and cook 10 minutes.
- Add the chicken and simmer until the liquid reduces by half, about 20 to 30 minutes. Season with salt to taste.
- Place chicken in tortillas and garnish with desired toppings. Enjoy!
Want more healthy recipes? Get the entire series of videos that will help you get back at it with Grokker, at-home classes by the top experts in their field. Shape readers get 30 percent off with promo code SHAPE9, so you can start eating well today.