- Skill Level: Beginner
- Serves: 4 to 6
- Start to Finish: 45 minutes
- 201mg Sodium
- 33g Carbs
- 4g Fiber
- 7g Fat
- 1g Saturated Fat
- 15g Sugars
- 8g Protein
These healthy "fries" have become my most-requested appetizer at parties, surpassing even my crab cakes. Serve them up at your next get-together for an instant hit.
- For kabocha squash fries:
- 1 kabocha squash (4 pounds), cut lengthwise, seeded, and cut into 1/4-inch half-moons
- 2 to 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt (or to taste)
- For sriracha dipping sauce:
- 3/4 cup plain nonfat Greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon sriracha hot sauce (or to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees and line a baking sheet with aluminum foil.
2. In a large mixing bowl, toss squash and olive oil until well coated. Spread squash in an even layer across baking sheet, making sure each piece is touching surface of pan to ensure even browning. Sprinkle with sea salt. Roast for 20 minutes, flip, and roast another 25 minutes. Turn oven up to 500 degrees. Continue to bake for another 5 minutes until squash is golden brown and crispy on both sides.
3. In a small bowl, combine Greek yogurt, sriracha, and sea salt, if desired. Mix well. Serve with kabocha fries.
Recipe adapted from Cook Yourself Sexy by Candice Kumai, Rodale Books, 2012