- Skill Level: Beginner
- Serves: 2
- Start to Finish: less than 1 hour
- 601mg Sodium
- 51g Carbs
- 4g Fiber
- 20g Fat
- 8g Saturated Fat
- 18g Protein
- 454mg Calcium
- 2mg Iron
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 cup grits
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large Spanish onion, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes
- 1 bunch (2 to 3 cups) kale, chopped
- 1 lemon wedge
- 1/2 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1. In medium pot, bring water and vegetable broth to boil. Add grits and stir frequently for 20 minutes. Leave grits uncovered.
2. While grits cook, heat 1/2 tablespoon olive oil over medium heat until hot. Add onion, reduce heat to medium, and cook 12 to 15 minutes until onions are sugary and golden brown. Season with salt and pepper to taste and transfer to a plate.
3. Add 1/2 tablespoon olive oil to the pan with garlic, red pepper flakes, and kale. Toss until kale is slick and coated. Let cook until leaves are wilted, about 3 to 5 minutes. Remove kale from heat, season with salt and pepper to taste, and add a spritz of lemon.
4. When grits are cooked (they’ll thicken considerably), remove from heat and add cheeses, stirring vigorously. Season with salt and pepper. Place grits on two plates and top with onions and kale.
Recipe provided by LoveLifeEat.com