- Skill Level: Intermediate
- Serves: 8
- Start to Finish: less than 1 1/2 hours
- 742mg Sodium
- 38g Carbs
- 5g Fiber
- 23g Fat
- 11g Saturated Fat
- 21g Protein
- 538mg Calcium
- 3mg Iron
- 8 ounces whole-grain or multi-grain elbow macaroni
- 2 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup whole-wheat pastry flour
- 3 cups organic low-fat (1%) milk
- 2 cups freshly shredded Gruyère cheese
- 2 ounces (1/4 cup) soft goat cheese
- 1 3/4 teaspoons sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 jumbo yellow onion, finely chopped
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound chopped fresh kale leaves, thick stems removed
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper flakes (optional)
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped thyme
- 2 tablespoons whole-wheat panko
- 3 tablespoons freshly grated pecorino Romano cheese
1. Bring a large saucepan of water to boil. Add pasta and cook until nearly al dente, about 4 to 5 minutes. Drain pasta, rinse with cold water, and set aside.
2. Melt butter with 2 1/2 tablespoons oil in a medium or large saucepan over medium heat. Add flour and whisk constantly for 1 minute. While continuing to whisk, slowly drizzle in milk and cook until sauce has thickened and coats the back of a spoon, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in Gruyère, goat cheese, salt, and nutmeg; set aside.
3. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil in a nonstick Dutch oven or large deep skillet over medium heat. Add onions and sauté until softened, about 8 minutes. Add garlic and sauté another minute until fragrant. Add kale a handful at a time, hot pepper flakes (if using), and lemon zest, and toss with tongs until wilted, about 10 minutes. Stir in reserved cheese sauce, thyme, and cooked pasta until combined. Transfer mixture to a 9-by-13-inch or 10-inch round baking dish. Sprinkle evenly with panko and Romano cheese. Bake about 35 minutes until golden brown and bubbly.
Recipe by Jackie Newgent, R.D.