- Skill Level: Beginner
- Serves: 6
- Start to Finish: Less than 30 minutes
- 423mg Sodium
- 36g Carbs
- 5g Fiber
- 21g Fat
- 10g Protein
With raw butternut squash ribbons, crisp kale, delicate Swiss chard, and an orange vinaigrette, this recipe is simple yet exotic at the same time.
- For orange vinaigrette:
- 1 medium shallot, finely diced
- 1/4 cup pulp-free orange juice
- 3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- For salad:
- 2 medium bunches (4 cups) kale, chopped
- 1 medium bunch Swiss or rainbow chard
- 1/2 medium butternut squash
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
- 6 ounces fresh chèvre (goat cheese), crumbled
1. In a small mixing bowl, whisk all ingredients for vinaigrette to combine.
2. Clean and thoroughly dry kale and chard. With a sharp knife, remove woody stems from kale. Chop both greens into bite-size pieces.
3. Remove and discard seeds from butternut squash. Use a vegetable peeler to slice thin ribbons from inside squash.
4. In a large bowl, combine greens, squash ribbons, dried cranberries, and pumpkin seeds. Toss with half the vinaigrette. Transfer salad to 6 plates. Top with crumbled chèvre and serve additional vinaigrette on the side.
Recipe adapted from Cook Yourself Sexy by Candice Kumai, Rodale Books, 2012