- Skill Level: Advanced
- Serves: 12-15
This recipe was created by chef Howard Kalachnikoff of New York City's Gramercy Tavern. Kalachnikoff will join other top chefs on May 10 at the Lobster de Mayo charity event to benefit City Harvest, a food rescue organization that helps feed the two million New Yorkers who face hunger each year.
- For lobster ceviche:
- 3/4 cup canned coconut milk
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Thai or Vietnamese fish sauce
- 1/2 habanero chile, seeded, membrane removed, cut lengthwise
- 1 tablespoon peeled, chopped ginger
- Kosher salt
- 6 (1-pound each) lobsters
- 2 green plantains, peeled, thinly sliced lengthwise, fried, for garnish
- For mango pico de gallo:
- 2 cups diced mango
- 1 cup diced red onion
- 1/2 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup diced poblano chiles
- 1 habanero chile, seeds and membranes removed, diced
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro leaves
- 1/4 cup chopped mint leaves
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed orange juice
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
1. To make ceviche, in a nonreactive bowl, mix together all ingredients except lobster. Season with about 1 teaspoon salt or to taste, cover, and refrigerate.
2. Meanwhile, in a large pot, bring at least 6 quarts salted water to a rolling boil. Add lobsters, cover, return water to a boil, and cook lobsters for 7 minutes or until shells are bright red. (Do this in batches if the pot is not large enough to accommodate all lobsters.) Remove lobsters, wrap each in aluminum foil, and let cool. Cut lobsters in half down the back and remove tail meat. Reserve tail shells. Break off claws and knuckles, crack shells, and remove meat. Chop meat into bite-size pieces.
3. To make pico de gallo, in a medium-size bowl, stir together all ingredients and set aside.
4. In a medium-size mixing bowl, combine lobster meat with ceviche.
5. For an appetizer, put 1/2 lobster tail shell in the center of each chilled plate, and fill with lobster. Garnish with mango pico de gallo and crispy fried green plantain chips.