It's Johnny Appleseed day! Who's that? You know, Johnny Appleseed. He was everybody's favorite farmer and he walked around with a pot on his head, planting appleseeds. Or that's what they say. The real story's not nearly as exciting. But what is exciting is that this gives us the perfect excuse to eat one of our favorite healthy foods: apples. Because really, nothing says fall quite like biting into a rich, juicy apple! Here are our five favorite apple recipes:
1. Apple streudel with walnuts. This healthy dessert includes apples, walnuts and cinnamon to make a delicious variation of the traditional fall favorite.
2. Apple chicken salad. This salad works perfectly as a lunch and includes just the right amount of veggies, lean protein and fat to keep you full until dinner.
3. Walnut crusted chicken with apple chutney. If you're looking for something new to try, why not try this healthy chicken dinner?
4. Hot apple pie. This isn't your traditional apple pie! As the days get shorter and the nights get colder, this hot drink makes for the perfect after-dinner cocktail.
5. Apple, squash and cranberry crumble. We love this delicious dessert. You can even add whipped cream to it and still come in at under 200 calories.