Photo: Natalie Rizzo, MS, RD
I like to keep things simple in the morning. That's why I'm usually a smoothie or oatmeal kind of gal. (If you're not an "oatmeal person" yet, it's because you haven't tried these creative oatmeal hacks.) But after a while, "simple" can start to mean taste more like "boring." So when I heard about a new food trend that combines my two favorite foods, I had to jump on the breakfast bandwagon. The end result is what you'd call "smoatmeal." It might sound silly, but this combination of oatmeal and a smoothie bowl in one decadent and nutrient-packed dish is so genius you'll wonder how you never thought to combine them yourself.
The fiber- and protein-rich oats with the antioxidant-rich fruits and high-protein Greek yogurt makes a satisfying breakfast that will power you through the busiest of mornings. Plus, all the ingredients are staples in the kitchen, so you won't have to go searching the aisles of your local, expensive health food store to put it together. While peaches are in season right now—and oh so delicious—you can also make this beauty year-round by just utilizing frozen peaches or any other fresh or frozen fruit you prefer. (Take advantage of other ripe summer produce right now with these seasonal recipes.) Trust me—once you try these two classics together, you'll never go back.
Peaches & Cream Oatmeal Smoothie Bowl
Makes: 2 bowls
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 1/2 cup peaches (fresh or frozen)
- 1 tablespoon agave or honey
- 1/2 cup plain low-fat Greek yogurt
- Frozen blueberries
- Sliced peaches
- Chia seeds
- Chopped walnuts
- In a small saucepan, bring water to a boil. Then, add oats and turn the heat to low. Cook for about 5 minutes or until water is absorbed. Set oatmeal aside to cool.
- Pour coconut milk into a bowl and whisk until combined.
- In a blender, combine peaches, coconut milk, agave, and Greek yogurt. Blend until smooth.
- In a bowl, combine cooled oats and smoothie mixture. Stir well.
- Separate into two bowls and top with your favorite toppings.