- Skill Level: Beginner
- Serves: 4
- Start to Finish: Less than 4 hours
- Prep: 15 minutes
- Cook: 4 minutes
- 647mg Sodium
- 64g Carbs
- 2g Fiber
- 18g Fat
- 3g Saturated Fat
- 11g Sugars
- 12g Protein
- 41mg Calcium
- 3mg Iron
- 1 ounce dried shiitake mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons light colored honey
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 4 teaspoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 8 ounces uncooked buckwheat noodles (soba)
- 3 tablespoons dark sesame oil
- 1 1/2 to 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 medium carrot, cut into 1 1/2-inch long sticks
- 1 to 2 scallions, cut into thin strips
- 10 radishes (assorted colors), cut into thin strips
- 1/2 cup chopped roasted cashews
- Crushed red pepper
1. At least two hours ahead, place shiitakes in a medium bowl and pour in 2 cups boiling water to rehydrate them; cover and let stand.
2. Drain shiitakes, squeeze out excess water, and slice into thin strips. Set aside.
3. Place honey in a medium bowl. Add vinegar and soy sauce and stir until honey dissolves. Set aside.
4. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Cook noodles for about 4 minutes, or until tender but still al dente. Drain noodles and add them to the bowl with the honey mixture.
5. Add oil and garlic and mix with a fork or tongs until noodles are coated. Taste and add salt, if desired.
6. Stir in sliced shiitakes and let noodles cool to room temperature. Add carrots, scallions, and radishes and toss again with a fork or tongs until well combined. Top with cashews and red pepper flakes and serve.
*Nutritional information does not include any additional salt.