- Skill Level: Beginner
- Serves: 6
- Start to Finish: Less than 1 hour
- Prep: 5 minutes
- Cook: 30 minutes
- 953mg Sodium
- 63g Carbs
- 8g Fiber
- 9g Fat
- 4g Saturated Fat
- 6g Sugars
- 43g Protein
- 243mg Calcium
- 2mg Iron
- 1 pound whole–wheat penne pasta
- Cooking spray
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless chicken breast
- 1 large jar tomato sauce
- 1 1/2 cups part–skim shredded mozzarella
1. Preheat oven to 375°F. Bring a large pot with about 32 cups of water to a boil; season with salt. When boiling, add pasta. Cook according to directions on package (about 7 to 8 minutes), or until al dente. When cooked, drain and rinse with cold water.
2. While pasta cooks, spray a cookie sheet with cooking spray and arrange chicken breast on tray. Sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper and bake for 15 to 18 minutes, or until cooked through.
3. Remove from oven and cool. When cool, dice into ½–inch pieces. Spray a 13–by–9–inch casserole dish with cooking spray. In a large mixing bowl, toss pasta, chicken, and sauce (add a bit more sauce if desired). Place mixture in a casserole dish and sprinkle with shredded cheese. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until cheese is completely melted and casserole is hot all the way through.
*Nutritional information is based on using a 24-ounce jar of Marinara sauce.