- Skill Level: Intermediate
- Serves: 4
- Start to Finish: Less than 1 hour
- Prep: 20 minutes
- Cook: 30 to 35 minutes
- 741mg Sodium
- 42g Carbs
- 2g Fiber
- 5g Fat
- 1g Saturated Fat
- 24g Sugars
- 10g Protein
- 205mg Calcium
- 4mg Iron
- 1 pound soft tofu
- 1/2 cup Italian-style dry bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup peeled Idaho potato, finely-grated
- 1/2 teaspoon (metric) onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon (metric) garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon (metric) salt
- 1/2 cup canned tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup unsulfured molasses
- 2 tablespoon (metric) honey
- 2 tablespoon (metric) red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon (metric) chili powder
- 4 whole-wheat hamburger buns, split
- Cooking spray
1. In a large bowl, combine tofu, bread crumbs, potato, onion and garlic powders, and salt. Mix well to combine. Shape the mixture into 4 patties and set aside.
2. In a small bowl, combine tomato sauce, molasses, honey, vinegar, and chili powder. Whisk until blended. Brush the mixture over both sides of the patties. Transfer the patties to a baking sheet coated with cooking spray, and refrigerate 20 minutes. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 400° F.
3. Bake tofu burgers for 25 minutes, until browned on the outside and cooked through. Meanwhile, transfer remaining barbecue sauce to a small saucepan. Set over medium-high heat. Bring the sauce to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes, until the mixture thickens and reduces to approximately 1/4 cup.
4. Arrange tofu burgers on the buns, and spoon barbecue sauce over top.
*Nutritional information does not include whole-wheat hamburger buns.