- Skill Level: Beginner
- Serves: 6
- Start to Finish: under 1 hour
- Prep: 12 minutes
- Cook: 44 minutes
Amount per serving:
Total Calories: 351kcal (18%)
- 549mg (23%) Sodium
- 41g Carbs
- 7g Fiber
- 15g (24%) Fat
- 5g (26%) Saturated Fat
- 8g Sugars
- 16g Protein
- 257mg (26%) Calcium
- 3mg (17%) Iron
Try this delicious and healthy recipe!
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion
- 1 carrot, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 3 1/2 pounds butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cut into 3/4-inch pieces (about 7 cups)
- 6 cups low-sodium chicken stock or broth
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh sage
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- For the Crostini:1/2 whole-wheat baguette, sliced diagonally into 1/2-inch thick slices
- For the Crostini:Extra-virgin olive oil
- For the Crostini:1 cup grated fontina
- For the Crostini:Kosher salt
Heat oil in an 8-quart stockpot over medium- high. Add onion and carrot and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until onion is soft. Add garlic and cook for 30 seconds more or until aromatic. Add squash and stock or broth and bring to a boil. Add sage and continue boiling for about 20 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
Turn off heat. Using an immersion blender, blend the mixture until smooth. (Or purée in batches in a food processor or blender until smooth.) Season with salt and pepper. Keep the soup warm over low heat until you're ready to serve. Meanwhile, make the crostini. Place a rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 400°F. Arrange bread slices on a baking sheet. Drizzle with oil and sprinkle with sage. Top with fontina and season with salt. Bake for 6 to 8 minutes or until cheese is melted and bread is light golden.
Ladle soup into bowls and garnish with crostini.