- Skill Level: Intermediate
- Serves: 6
- Start to Finish: under 2 hours
- Prep: 26 minutes
- Cook: 55 minutes
Amount per serving:
Total Calories: 307kcal (15%)
- 352mg (15%) Sodium
- 44g Carbs
- 3g Fiber
- 14g (21%) Fat
- 6g (28%) Saturated Fat
- 27g Sugars
- 6g Protein
- 22mg (2%) Calcium
- 2mg (13%) Iron
Try serving these coconut-chocolate cakes with berries; the vitamin C will help you absorb the iron they contain.
- Cooking spray
- 3/4 cup sifted cake flour
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/3 cup cold water
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 egg whites, at room temperature
- 1/3 cup bittersweet chocolate chips
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon shredded sweetened coconut, toasted
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly spray mini Bundt cake molds with cooking spray. In a bowl, combine flour, cocoa, sugar, baking soda, and salt.
2. In a separate bowl, whisk egg yolks, water, and oil until well blended. Whisk in about one-third of the flour mixture and stir until just combined. Add another third of the flour mixture and whisk again. Add remaining mixture and whisk until just combined.
3. In a large, clean bowl, beat egg whites with an electric mixer on high speed until foamy. Add cream of tartar and beat on high speed until stiff peaks form. Stir a quarter of the egg whites into batter. Gently fold remaining egg whites into batter until just blended and no white streaks are visible.
4. Evenly divide batter into prepared Bundt cake molds. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until a skewer inserted into center comes out clean. Set mold on rack to cool for about 10 minutes. Using a small metal spatula, gently loosen edge of cakes. Turn cakes onto rack and cool completely.
5. In a small saucepan, heat the chocolate chips and butter over medium-low, stirring frequently, for about 1 to 2 minutes or until just melted and mixture is smooth. Remove pan from heat. Drizzle about 2 teaspoons on each coconut-chocolate mini Bundt cake. Sprinkle about 1/2 teaspoon coconut on each cake.