- Skill Level: Beginner
- Serves: 12
- Start to Finish: under 2 hours
- Prep: 30 minutes
- Cook: 20 minutes
Amount per serving:
Total Calories: 170kcal (9%)
- 166mg (7%) Sodium
- 30g Carbs
- 1g Fiber
- 5g (8%) Fat
- 3g (15%) Saturated Fat
- 22g Sugars
- 3g Protein
- 35mg (4%) Calcium
- 1mg (5%) Iron
Unsweetened cocoa powder delivers the rich taste of chocolate without the fat in this cupcake recipe.
- For the Cupcakes:3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- For the Cupcakes:1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- For the Cupcakes:1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- For the Cupcakes:1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- For the Cupcakes:1/4 teaspoon salt
- For the Cupcakes:4 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- For the Cupcakes:1/2 cup dark brown sugar
- For the Cupcakes:1/4 cup sugar
- For the Cupcakes:2 large eggs
- For the Cupcakes:3 tablespoons strong brewed coffee
- For the Cupcakes:1 teaspoon vanilla
- For the Cupcakes:1/2 cup lowfat buttermilk
- For the Frosting:1∕2 cup sugar
- For the Frosting:1∕4 cup water
- For the Frosting:1 large egg white
- For the Frosting:1∕2 teaspoon pure vanilla
- For the Frosting:1∕8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- For the Frosting:Pinch of salt
To make the Cupcakes:
Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a 12-cup cupcake tin with paper liners. In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
In another large bowl, beat butter and sugars with an electric mixer until fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well with each addition. Beat in coffee and vanilla. Add flour mixture, alternating with buttermilk, until batter is smooth.
Fill cupcake cups 2∕3 full (you’ll have some batter left, which you can discard) and bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a cupcake comes out clean. Leave to cool in tin for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
To Make the Frosting:
Combine sugar and water in a small, heavy saucepan over medium-high heat. Stir constantly for 3 minutes or until sugar dissolves.
Beat egg white, vanilla, cream of tartar, and salt in a large bowl with an electric mixer until soft peaks form. Gradually add sugar syrup; beat until stiff peaks form and mixture is glossy in texture, about 7 minutes more. Frost chocolate cupcakes just before serving.