- Skill Level: Beginner
- Serves: 12
- Start to Finish: under 1 hour
- Prep: 10 minutes
- Cook: 30 minutes
Amount per serving:
Total Calories: 184kcal (9%)
- 106mg (4%) Sodium
- 27g Carbs
- 2g Fiber
- 7g (10%) Fat
- 1g (4%) Saturated Fat
- 11g Sugars
- 5g Protein
- 120mg (12%) Calcium
- 1mg (8%) Iron
Orange poppy seed recipe creates tasty muffins that are the perfect grab and go item for your healthy breakfast or snack.
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup nonfat yogurt
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 tablespoon finely grated orange zest (from one medium orange)
- 1/4 cup orange juice concentrate
- For the Glaze (optional):1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- For the Glaze (optional):1 tablespoon frozen orange juice concentrate
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 12-inch muffin baking tin with paper cupcake liners (or spray lightly with cooking spray).
In a large mixing bowl, sift together both flours, baking powder, and poppy seeds. In another mixing bowl, whisk together brown sugar, eggs, vanilla, yogurt, oil, orange zest, and orange-juice concentrate.
Using a rubber spatula, fold the wet ingredients into the dry, just enough to combine. The batter will be very thick.
Divide the batter among the muffin cups with a tablespoon, filling each about two-thirds. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until lightly browned and a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out dry. Cool on a wire rack.
If using glaze, blend confectioners' sugar with the orange-juice concentrate. Drizzle over muffins and serve.
Shape offers more delicious muffin recipes for your healthy breakfast on the go or as part of your overall balanced healthy diet:
- Low Fat Pineapple Upside-Down Bran Muffins
- Very Berry Orange Oat Muffins