- Skill Level: Intermediate
- Serves: 4
- Start to Finish: Less than 1 hour
- Cook: 45 minutes
- 304mg (13%) Sodium
- 28g Carbs
- 6g Fiber
- 11g (18%) Fat
- 2g (8%) Saturated Fat
- 4g Sugars
- 30g Protein
- 237mg (24%) Calcium
- 4mg (21%) Iron
This twist on the traditional cod recipe is rich in omega-3s and protein-packed beans.
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 carrot, peeled and diced
- 1 celery stalk, diced
- 1 white turnip, peeled and diced
- 1 parsnip, peeled and diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon pimenton (smoked paprika)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 15-ounce can cannellini (white kidney) beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 bunch kale (about 1 pound), stems and center ribs removed, torn into bite-size pieces
- 4 4-ounce center-cut cod fillets
- 1 lemon, halved
- Freshly ground black pepper
1. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a medium saucepan over medium-high; add veggies and half the garlic, cook for about 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Add pimentón and bay leaf, cook for 2 minutes. Add beans and cook for about 3 minutes or until just heated through. Add remaining garlic and kale, cook for 4 minutes.
2. Season fillets with salt and pepper.
3. Heat remaining oil in a sauté pan over medium-high. Lay cod in pan and cook for 3 to 4 minutes or until a brown crust forms. Flip, then cook for 2 to 3 minutes more; remove from pan. Divide vegetable-bean mixture among four bowls and top with cod; finish with a squeeze of lemon.
Recipe courtesy of Saul Bolton, owner and executive chef of Saul Restaurant and the Vanderbilt in Brooklyn, New York.
Nutritional information includes 1/4 teaspoon of added salt.