- Skill Level: Intermediate
- Serves: 4
- Start to Finish: Less than 1 hour
- Prep: 20 minutes
- Cook: 20 minutes
- 874mg Sodium
- 52g Carbs
- 10g Fiber
- 19g Fat
- 3g Saturated Fat
- 13g Sugars
- 32g Protein
- 220mg Calcium
- 4mg Iron
- 3/4 pound boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into 18 chunks
- 18 cherry tomatoes
- 1 medium zucchini, trimmed and cut into 18 rounds
- 1 large yellow pepper, cored, seeded, and cut into 18 wedges
- 1 small sweet onion, trimmed and cut into 18 chunks
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 a 14-ounce round whole-wheat bread loaf, cut into four slices
- 10 cups baby arugula leaves, rinsed and spun dry
- 2 cups torn fresh basil leaves
- 1 cup cooked chickpeas (rinsed and drained if canned)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
2. Repeat process two more times, so skewer holds three chicken chunks, three cherry tomatoes, three zucchini rounds, three pepper wedges, and three onion chunks.
3. Thread remaining five skewers in the same manner.
6. Place skewers on grill and cook, turning several times, for 8 to 10 minutes, or until chicken is just cooked through and vegetables are tender. Transfer skewers to a platter.
7. Place bread on grill and brown on both sides, about 1 minute total. Serve as grilled slices, or cut bread into cubes for croutons.
8.Arrange equal portions of arugula, basil, and chickpeas on four large plates. Top each salad with a bread slice (or sprinkle with croutons) and the contents of one and a half skewers, then drizzle with a portion of the reserved vinaigrette.