- Skill Level: Beginner
- Serves: 6
- Start to Finish: Less than 2 hours
- Prep: 20 minutes
- Cook: 1 hour
- 662mg Sodium
- 81g Carbs
- 17g Fiber
- 6g Fat
- 1g Saturated Fat
- 5g Sugars
- 22g Protein
- 242mg Calcium
- 10mg Iron
- 1 tablespoon oil (safflower or canola work well)
- 1 yellow onions, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 zucchini, chopped
- 1 bell pepper (any color), seeded & chopped
- 1 cup mushrooms, sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 jalapeno, seeded & chopped
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (or cayenne pepper)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 can (14 oz.) diced tomatoes
- 2 cans (28 oz./each) crushed tomatoes
- 1 can (15 oz.) kidney beans, drained & rinsed
- 1 can (15 oz.) black beans, drained & rinsed
- 1 can (15 oz.) Great Northern (or cannellini) beans, drained & rinsed
- 1 can (8 oz.) sliced water chestnuts, drained & rinsed
- Sea salt & black pepper to taste
2. Add onion, carrots, zucchini, bell pepper, and mushrooms, and saute for a couple minutes, until everything begins to soften.
3. Add garlic, jalapeno, and spices (chili powder through bay leaves), and saute for a few minutes more, until the onion becomes soft & golden. If things begin to stick, add a splash of water.
4.Pour the tomatoes, beans, and water chestnuts into the pot, and give everything a good stir to mix. Bring to a boil, then lower heat & simmer for 45 minutes to an hour.
5. Remove bay leaves, and taste for seasonings. Add pepper flakes, salt, and pepper to taste.
6. Serve with cubed avocado, as well as tortilla chips or cornbread.