- Skill Level: Intermediate
- Serves: 6
- Start to Finish: under 1 hour
- Prep: 10 min.
- Cook: 10 min.
- 598mg (25%) Sodium
- 22g Carbs
- 2g Fiber
- 11g (17%) Fat
- 2g (9%) Saturated Fat
- 2g Sugars
- 10g Protein
- 62mg (6%) Calcium
- 2mg (10%) Iron
- 4 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 1 8-ounce package tempeh
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 3/4 cup vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup quick-cooking brown rice
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 cups chopped portobello mushroom caps
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 1/4 cup walnuts, toasted and chopped
- Freshly ground black pepper
1. Heat 2 teaspoons of oil in a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
2. Add tempeh and brown for 2 minutes on each side.
3. Add 1 cup of water and the soy sauce; simmer tempeh, turning occasionally, until liquid is absorbed, about 10 minutes. Let cool; crumble into a large bowl.
4. Bring broth to a boil in a small saucepan. Add rice, reduce heat to low, and cook, according to package directions, until tender. Cover and let rest.
5. Heat remaining 2 teaspoons of oil in a nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion; sauté for 3 minutes. Add mushrooms, tomato paste and garlic; sauté for 5 minutes, stirring often.
6. Transfer to a food processor and add rice and walnuts. Pulse until mixture turns pasty. Transfer to bowl with tempeh, stir to blend, and season with salt and pepper to taste.
7. Shape into six 1/2 -inch thick patties. To cook, place patties in a well-oiled nonstick skillet and cook over medium heat for 2-3 minutes on each side, or until browned and heated through.
Nutritional information includes 1/8 teaspoon of added salt per serving.