- Skill Level: Beginner
- Serves: 4
- Start to Finish: under 1 hour
- Prep: 15 minutes
- Cook: 30 minutes
- 488mg Sodium
- 83g Carbs
- 10g Fiber
- 15g Fat
- 2g Saturated Fat
- 6g Sugars
- 21g Protein
- 195mg Calcium
- 7mg Iron
- 1 ounce pine nuts (about 1/4 cup)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups thinly sliced onion
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 pound chopped fresh or frozen spinach
- 12 ounces frozen artichoke hearts, defrosted
- 1-2 heaping tablespoons minced or crushed garlic
- 1 cup low-sodium vegetable broth
- 3/4 pound small penne pasta
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Red pepper flakes to taste
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan
1. Toast pine nuts in a dry skillet over medium-low heat for about 2 minutes or until golden and aromatic, stirring frequently to avoid burning. Set aside.
2. Place a deep large skillet or a Dutch oven over medium-high heat for 2 minutes.
3. Add the oil and swirl to coat the pan. Add onions and sauté for 5 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, boil a large pot of water for the pasta. Add the salt to the onions and sauté for 5 minutes longer, until the onions are very soft.
5. Stir in the spinach (if using frozen, defrost, thoroughly drain, and squeeze out all the water first), artichoke hearts, garlic, and broth, and heat to a boil.
6. Turn the heat to low, cover and simmer gently while the pasta cooks. Cook the pasta until just tender.
7. Drain well, and transfer to the skillet. Stir and cook over low heat for about 5 minutes.
8. Serve topped with black pepper, red pepper, Parmesan cheese, and pine nuts.
*You can caramelize the onions and toast the pine nuts ahead of time. Store onions in the refrigerator and pine nuts in an airtight container until ready to use.