- Skill Level: Intermediate
- Serves: 10
- Start to Finish: Less than 2 hours
- Prep: 40 minutes
- Cook: 1 hour, 20 minutes
- 563mg (23%) Sodium
- 20g Carbs
- 2g Fiber
- 7g (12%) Fat
- 3g (15%) Saturated Fat
- 1g Sugars
- 12g Protein
- 103mg (10%) Calcium
- 2mg (10%) Iron
This lowfat dough is made with reduced-fat cream cheese to keep it moist and light.
- 1 cup whole-wheat pastry flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into 1∕2-inch cubes
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat cream cheese
- 2/3 cup lowfat buttermilk
- 1 14-ounce package mini smoked turkey sausages
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 teaspoon poppy seeds
1. Preheat oven to 375°F and line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
2. Add flours, baking powder, baking soda, and salt to a food processor. Pulse for 1 second five times. Add butter and pulse for 1 second eight times. Add cream cheese, turn on processor, and pour in buttermilk through the feed tube. Continue processing for 10 to 20 seconds or until mixed.
3. Transfer dough to a lightly floured surface and gather into a ball. Divide into two equal pieces and flatten into disks; wrap one disk in plastic and chill. (Both disks may be refrigerated for up to a day; let rest for 20 minutes at room temperature before rolling.) Lightly flour remaining disk and roll to a 1∕4-inch thickness. Cut dough into 12 rectangles, each about 3 1∕2 by 1 1∕2 inches, then cut each rectangle in half diagonally to form 24 triangles.
4. Place sausages on the short side of each triangle opposite the tip, roll up, and transfer to a baking sheet. Repeat with remaining ingredients (you may have extra dough).
5. In a small bowl, beat egg and water. Using a pastry brush, lightly coat dough with egg mixture; sprinkle with poppy seeds.
6. Bake for about 12 to 14 minutes, switching positions of baking sheets halfway through. Cool for 5 minutes; serve with mustard, if desired.
Recipe courtesy of Julie O'Hara.