- Skill Level: Intermediate
- Serves: 30
- Start to Finish: under 2 hours
- Prep: 20 minutes
- Cook: 50 minutes
- 41mg Sodium
- 14g Carbs
- 2g Fiber
- 4g Fat
- 1g Saturated Fat
- 6g Sugars
- 2g Protein
- 19mg Calcium
- 1mg Iron
- 2 cups white whole-wheat flour
- 1/2 cup almond flour (available at specialty stores)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs, 1 separated
- 1/4 cup light olive oil
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon turbinado sugar
- 2 teaspoons finely grated orange zest
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped dried apricots
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped unsalted pistachios
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone liner.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together flours, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt. Set aside.
3. In a large bowl, beat together 1 whole egg, 1 yolk (reserve egg white), olive oil, and 1⁄2 cup sugar with a wooden spoon until smooth. Gradually add the flour mixture while mixing until just combined. Stir in orange zest, apricots, cranberries, and pistachios.
4. On a floured work surface, form dough into 2 logs approximately 10 inches long. Place on the baking sheet and flatten each log until about 1 inch high and 2 inches wide. Brush each log with reserved egg white and sprinkle with reserved tablespoon of sugar.
5. Bake for about 30 minutes or until biscotti are lightly browned and surfaces begin to crack. Remove from oven and cool for 10 minutes, then place logs onto a cutting board using a large spatula.
6. Reduce oven temperature to 325 degrees. When logs are cool enough to handle, cut into 1⁄2-inch-thick slices on the diagonal using a serrated knife.
7. Return slices to baking sheet and bake for 10 to 15 minutes more, depending on the crispness desired. Cool completely on a wire rack.
*Nutritional information is based on a serving size of 1 biscotti.