- Skill Level: Beginner
- Serves: 4
- Start to Finish: under 15 minutes
- Prep: 5 minutes
- Cook: 10 to 12 minutes
- 654mg Sodium
- 70g Carbs
- 10g Fiber
- 5g Fat
- 1g Saturated Fat
- 27g Sugars
- 31g Protein
- 50mg Calcium
- 3mg Iron
- 1 cup quick-cooking barley
- 2 cups reduced-sodium, nonfat chicken broth or water
- 2 teaspoons peanut or olive oil
- 2 8-ounce pork tenderloins, cut crosswise into 1-inch-thick slices
- 1/3 cup red onion, chopped
- 3/4 cup frozen green peas
- 1 cup canned whole-berry sweetened cranberry sauce
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground ginger
1. In a saucepan, add barley to boiling broth/water. Cover, reduce heat; simmer for 8 minutes. Add peas. Cook for 2 minutes, until the liquid is absorbed and the barley is tender. Season with salt and pepper.
2. Heat oil in a large skillet. Salt and pepper both sides of pork and sauté for 2 minutes per side. Remove pork; set aside.
3. In the juices in the skillet, sauté onion for 2 minutes. Add remaining ingredients. Return the pork to the pan; simmer for 2 minutes. Serve.
*Nutritional information includes 1/8 teaspoon of added salt per serving.