- Skill Level: Beginner
- Serves: 2
- Start to Finish: under 1 hour
- Prep: 20 minutes
- Cook: 35 minutes
- 174mg Sodium
- 34g Carbs
- 7g Fiber
- 3g Fat
- 0g Saturated Fat
- 13g Sugars
- 6g Protein
- 62mg Calcium
- 3mg Iron
- 1/4 cup quinoa
- 1 cup bottled water (or tap)
- 2 red bell peppers
- 1/2 green apple, cored and chopped
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 cup all natural chopped tomatoes
- 3 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon olive oil
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
1. Rinse and drain the quinoa in a fine-mesh strainer under running tap water until the water drains clear. Bring the water to a boil in a small saucepan. Add the quinoa, and cook for 15 minutes over medium-low heat, until all of the water is absorbed. Set aside.
2. Halve the peppers lengthwise, and scrape out and discard the seeds and membranes. Leave the stems intact so the peppers hold their shape. Place the peppers skin side down in an ovenproof dish.
3. In a medium bowl, mix the apple and lemon juice. Add the quinoa, herbs, garlic, tomato, scallion, and oil. Season with sea salt and pepper to taste, and mix well.
4. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Divide the quinoa mixture between the halved peppers. Pour a small amount of water in the dish around the peppers, and cook for 20 minutes, until the quinoa filling is hot.
*Nutritional information includes 1/4 teaspoon of added salt.