- Skill Level: Intermediate
- Serves: 4
- Start to Finish: under 1 hour
- Prep: 10-15 minutes
- Cook: 40 minutes
Amount per serving:
Total Calories: 417kcal (21%)
- 587mg (24%) Sodium
- 37g Carbs
- 5g Fiber
- 17g (26%) Fat
- 6g (28%) Saturated Fat
- 6g Sugars
- 30g Protein
- 118mg (12%) Calcium
- 4mg (21%) Iron
Enjoy cost-effective root vegetables in a hearty way with this recipe.
- 2 Idaho potatoes, peeled, and cut into 2-inch chunks
- 1 celery root (celeriac), about 1/4 pound, peeled and cut into 2-inch chunks
- 1/2 cup fat-free sour cream
- 2 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 2 tsp olive or vegetable oil
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 cup button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 pound boneless beef round or chuck, cut into 2-inch cubes
- 1 cup fat-free broth
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 medium carrots, peeled, and chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
1. Preheat oven to 400F. Combine potatoes, celery root, and enough water to cover them in a medium saucepan; set pan over high heat. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium-high, and simmer for 10 minutes, until vegetables are fork-tender. Drain and transfer to a food processor or large bowl. Add sour cream and process or, using a potato masher, mash vegetables until smooth; set aside.
2. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine flour, thyme, salt, and pepper; set aside.
3. Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion and mushrooms. Sauté for 2 minutes, until mushrooms release juice. Add beef and sauté for 5 minutes, until browned on all sides. Add flour mixture and stir to coat.
4. Whisk broth and mustard together in a small bowl. Add to the pan along with carrots. Bring mixture to a boil. Remove from heat and transfer to a deep, 9-inch pie plate or shallow baking dish.
5. Top beef mixture with potato purée and, using the back of a spoon, smooth surface while making decorative swirls. Place pie plate on a baking sheet.
6. Bake for 30 minutes, until the top is golden. Sprinkle the top with parsley before serving, if desired.