- Skill Level: Intermediate
- Serves: 6
- Start to Finish: under 1 hour
- Prep: 25 minutes
- Cook: 20 minutes
Amount per serving:
Total Calories: 522kcal (26%)
- 1720mg (72%) Sodium
- 88g Carbs
- 9g Fiber
- 11g (16%) Fat
- 2g (8%) Saturated Fat
- 16g Sugars
- 29g Protein
- 617mg (62%) Calcium
- 6mg (34%) Iron
When a craving for Asian food strikes, get out the chopsticks and dig into this! Soba (buckwheat noodles) pack fiber, folate, iron, and zinc.
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoons fresh-peeled ginger, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 1/2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
- 8 1/2 ounces soba or whole-wheat spaghetti, uncooked
- 4 cups broccoli florets
- 1 10-ounce package frozen baby peas
- 2 cups cucumber, diced
- 1 15-ounce can baby corn, drained
- 1 8-ounce can sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 1 pound firm tofu, cut into bite-size cubes
- 6 cups purple cabbage, shredded
1. In a small bowl, whisk together first 8 ingredients for dressing. Set aside.
2. Boil a large pot of water. Add soba or whole-wheat spaghetti; cook for 4 minutes.
3. Add broccoli; cook for 4 more minutes. Add peas; drain. Place in a large bowl to cool. When mixture is cool, add diced cucumber, baby corn, and water chestnuts.
4. Heat oil in a medium nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add tofu. Saute for 5 minutes on each side or until golden. (Use chopsticks to turn tofu over.)
5. Pour 2/3 of the dressing over noodle mixture and gently toss to mix. Place a portion of soba salad in the center of 6 large plates. Top with tofu and surround with a ring of shredded purple cabbage. Drizzle salads with remaining dressing.