- Skill Level: Beginner
- Serves: 6
- Start to Finish: under 2 hours
- Prep: 15 minutes
- Cook: 45 minutes
Amount per serving:
Total Calories: 222kcal (11%)
- 2353mg (98%) Sodium
- 35g Carbs
- 3g Fiber
- 9g (14%) Fat
- 2g (8%) Saturated Fat
- 4g Sugars
- 5g Protein
- 81mg (8%) Calcium
- 2mg (9%) Iron
Recipe by Mollie Katzen. "I like to use the Imagine brand of vegetable broth, which is organic and comes in 1-quart shelf-stable boxes, similar to soy milk," Katzen says.
- 3 quart vegetable broth
- 2 large carrots, peeled or scrubbed and cut into large chunks
- 2 medium-sized onions, peeled and cut into large chunks
- 4 medium-sized garlic bulbs, cloves separated and peeled (otherwise left whole)
- Handful of parsley
- Extra minced parsley for serving (optional)
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste (optional)
- Croutons (optional)
1. Combine all ingredients in a large pot. Bring to a boil, lower to a simmer, and partially cover.
2. Cook on low heat for about 45 minutes.
3. Turn off heat and let the soup cool to room temperature.
4. Strain out and discard all vegetables.
4. Reheat gently, top with parsley, black pepper, and croutons, if using, and serve.