- Skill Level: Beginner
- Serves: 4
- Start to Finish: under 30 minutes
- Prep: 20 minutes
- Cook: 2 minutes per batch
- 572mg (24%) Sodium
- 27g Carbs
- 5g Fiber
- 6g (9%) Fat
- 3g (16%) Saturated Fat
- 5g Sugars
- 11g Protein
- 190mg (19%) Calcium
- 2mg (14%) Iron
- Nonstick olive-oil cooking spray
- 4 6-inch whole-wheat hoagie rolls, split; or 8 slices whole-wheat bread; or 2 whole-wheat pita bread rounds, halved crosswise and split
- 4 cups fresh baby spinach leaves
- 1 medium tomato, thinly sliced in 8
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 2 tablespoons shredded fresh basil leaves
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
1. Lightly coat an unheated panini griddle, covered indoor electric grill, or large nonstick skillet with nonstick cooking spray; set aside.
2. Place hoagie-roll bottoms or 4 of the bread slices or 4 pita pieces on a work surface; divide half of the spinach leaves among these roll bottoms, bread slices, or pita pieces.
3. Top spinach with tomato, and sprinkle lightly with kosher salt and pepper. Add red onion slices and basil, then add feta and remaining spinach.
4. Top with hoagie-roll tops, remaining bread slices, or pita pieces. Press down firmly.
5. Preheat griddle, grill, or skillet over medium heat, or heat according to manufacturer's directions. Add sandwiches, in batches if necessary. If using griddle or grill, close lid and grill for 2 to 3 minutes or until bread is toasted. (If using skillet, place a heavy plate on top of sandwiches. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes or until bottoms are toasted. Carefully remove plate, which may be hot. Turn sandwiches and top with the plate. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes more or until bread is toasted.)