- Skill Level: Beginner
- Serves: 6
- Start to Finish: under 1 hour
- Prep: 20 mins
- Cook: 10 mins
Amount per serving:
Total Calories: 456kcal (23%)
- 462mg (19%) Sodium
- 75g Carbs
- 16g Fiber
- 8g (13%) Fat
- 4g (21%) Saturated Fat
- 1g Sugars
- 23g Protein
- 207mg (21%) Calcium
- 5mg (27%) Iron
Satisfy your burger craving, sans-meat, with these southwestern-style sandwiches.
- 1 cup instant brown rice
- 2 15-ounce cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 4-ounce can chopped green chilies
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce with 1 teaspoon sauce from can
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 4 ounces shredded pepper Jack cheese
- 6 4-inch whole-wheat pita pockets
- 8 tablespoons prepared salsa (mild, medium or hot)
- Cooking spray
1. In a medium saucepan, bring 1 1/4 cups water to a boil. Add rice and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to low, cover and cook for 10 minutes. Remove from heat; let stand 5 minutes.
2. Transfer to a food processor. Add next 4 ingredients and process until smooth (you may leave some beans whole, if desired, to add texture). Shape mixture into 6 patties, each about 2 inches thick.
3. Coat a grill pan or large griddle with cooking spray and set pan over medium heat. When pan is hot, add burgers and cook 5 minutes per side, until golden brown on both sides.
4. Top burgers with cheese, cover pan with a lid or foil and cook 1 minute, until cheese melts. Place burgers inside pita pockets and top each burger with 1 1/2 tablespoons salsa.