- Skill Level: Beginner
- Serves: 4
- Start to Finish: 15 minutes
These sea scallops melt in your mouth, melding with a citrusy, buttery soy sauce. Paired with sweet butternut squash and earthy wild mushrooms, this five-star meal is incredibly simple and quick to cook. For more tips on preparing scallops, watch how to make this meal.
- For scallops:
- 1 pound sea scallops
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- For vegetables:
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 cup diced butternut squash
- 1 cup chopped maitake mushrooms
- 1 cup chopped oyster mushrooms
- 2 cups chopped shiitake mushrooms
- 2 teaspoons sherry vinegar
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- Mizuna greens or arugula, for garnish (optional)
- For brown butter sauce:
- 1/2 pound unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons minced shallots
- 1/4 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 cup mirin
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
1. To make scallops: Rinse scallops in cold water and remove mussels from sides. Pat dry.
2. Pour oil into a medium sauté pan. When oil slightly smokes, add salt and pepper to taste. Add scallops and sear until browned on one side, about 1 minute. Flip and cook other side for 1 minute. Remove scallops from pan and let rest on a paper towel.
3. To make vegetables: Pour oil into a medium sauté pan. When oil slightly smokes, add squash and sauté until soft. Add mushrooms and sauté until tender. Season with vinegar, parsley, and salt and pepper to taste.
4. To make brown butter sauce: Place butter in a deep medium sauté pan over medium heat. Let butter brown. Add shallots and sweat until soft. Add remaining ingredients and boil for 3 minutes.
5. Place vegetable garnishes on each plate. Place scallops on top of vegetables and drizzle with sauce. Top with mizuna greens or arugula, if desired.