- Skill Level: Beginner
- Serves: 4 to 6
- Start to Finish: 45 minutes
- 152mg Sodium
- 10g Carbs
- 6g Fiber
- 4hg Fat
- 3g Saturated Fat
- 1g Protein
- 16mg Calcium
- 1mg Iron
This root vegetable has a crispness that brings an entirely new texture and feel to fries for almost half the calories and carbs of potatoes. Adjust the seasonings to your liking.
Appropriate for: clean, gluten-free, high-fiber, low-carb, low-sugar, paleo, vegan, vegetarian diets
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon chipotle powder
- 1/8 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/8 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 pound jicama, peeled and cut into medium-sized fries*
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Heat coconut oil in an heat-proof glass bowl in the microwave or in oven.
3. Combine pepper, salt, chipotle powder, onion powder, and paprika in a small bowl or shaker.
4. Toss jicama fries in warm coconut oil to coat, and sprinkle on seasonings as you go.
5. Place a cooling rack on a sheet pan and spread fries on it evenly. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes and serve at once.
*A mandoline makes quick work of creating your fries.
Reprinted from Quick & Easy Paleo Comfort Foods (October 2013) by Julie and Charles Mayfield