- Skill Level: Beginner
- Serves: 4
- Start to Finish: 30 minutes
- 99mg Sodium
- 36g Carbs
- 7g Fiber
- 4g Fat
- 0g Saturated Fat
- 11g Protein
- 201mg Calcium
- 1mg Iron
These tiered treats start with a creamy, whipped ricotta that's enhanced by the flavor of fresh vanilla, honey, and lemon zest. Top it off with macerated berries, toasted almonds, and fresh basil for a picture-perfect, summery breakfast or dessert.
- 4 cups fresh berries (such as quartered strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, and raspberries)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/3 cup sliced almonds
- For vanilla bean ricotta:
- 1 1/2 cups fresh skim ricotta
- 1 vanilla bean, seeded
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon honey
- Zest of 1/2 lemon
1. In a medium bowl, combine berries, basil, sugar, and lemon juice. Cover and refrigerate for 20 minutes to allow berries to release juices.
2. Heat a medium skillet or pan over medium heat. (Do not put any oil in the pan!) When hot, add almonds and toast for 3 minutes until golden brown and fragrant. Remove from pan and let cool to room temperature.
3. Place all ingredients for vanilla bean ricotta in a large bowl. Using a hand mixer, whip ricotta until smooth. (You can also do this in a blender or food processor.)
4. To assemble, spoon about 2 1/2 tablespoons ricotta into each mason jar. Top with a layer of toasted almonds (about 2 teaspoons each). Add 1/2 cup of the berry mixture. Repeat each layer a second time, and sprinkle with any remaining almonds. Serve immediately or cover and refrigerate until ready to eat or take on-the-go.
Recipe provided by Serena Wolf of Domesticate Me