- Serves: 3
- Start to Finish: Less than 1 hour
- 219mg Sodium
- 33g Carbs
- 3g Fiber
- 19g Fat
- 7g Saturated Fat
- 7g Protein
- 118mg Calcium
- 4mg Iron
- 6 cups cubed pumpkin
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 3 to 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 tablespoons softened butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon ground ancho chili pepper
- 1 dash freshly ground black pepper
- 1 dash salt
- 6 toasted pecans, for garnish (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Place pumpkin, onion, and garlic in a large metal bowl. In a small bowl, mix butter, olive oil, and maple syrup. Pour mixture over pumpkin cubes and mix well. Place pumpkin flat on a baking pan, using a plastic spatula to ensure all liquid transfers from the bowl to the pan. Tear bay leaves into 4 pieces each and place between pumpkin cubes. Roast for 30 minutes until pumpkin cubes are softened.
3. Pour cold chicken broth into a blender and add cooked pumpkin, again using a plastic spatula to ensure all liquid is transferred. Blend to desired consistency.
4. Transfer soup to a pot on the stove and heat to a simmer over low heat. Stir in chili pepper, and pepper and salt to taste. When thickened to desired texture, serve topped with pecans, if desired.
Recipe provided by Season with Spice