- Skill Level: Beginner
- Serves: 4
- Start to Finish: 15 minutes
- 191mg Sodium
- 8g Carbs
- 0.5g Fiber
- 3g Fat
- 0.5g Saturated Fat
- 0.5g Sugars
- 3g Protein
- 27mg Calcium
- 1mg Iron
Crunched for time after a long weekday? This meal is ready in less than 15 minutes, and the Swiss chard provides vitamin A for bright, gorgeous eyes; vitamin K for strong bones; and vitamin C for antioxidants and glowing skin. What's not to love about this sexy green?
This recipe yields four side-dish servings or two dinner servings. Add more garbanzo beans and a can of Italian tuna in olive oil for a heartier meal.
- 1 bunch (13.5 ounces) Swiss chard
- 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds or sunflower seeds
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small red onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 can (15 ounces) organic garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- Zest of 1 orange
1. Cut stems from Swiss chard leaves. Slice stems crosswise into 1/4-inch pieces and place in a bowl. Stack greens, roll into a thick cigar shape, and slice crosswise into 1/4-inch-thick ribbons.
2. Toast pumpkin seeds in a small skillet over medium heat until fragrant, toasty brown, and plump, shaking the pan often for 3 to 4 minutes. Transfer to a small plate to cool.
3. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and salt and cook, stirring often, until starting to soften, about 3 or 4 minutes. Stir in chard stems and cook until starting to soften, about 4 minutes. Add leaves and cook, stirring often, until beginning to wilt, about another 4 minutes. Gently stir in beans and turn off the heat. Finish with orange juice and zest, and dish greens onto a serving platter. Sprinkle with pumpkin seeds.