- Skill Level: Beginner
- Serves: 3
- Start to Finish: Less than 30 minutes
- 6 slices whole-wheat or Ezekiel grain bread, toasted
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Sea salt
- 1 large (or 2 small) vine-ripe tomato, thinly sliced
- 1 ball fresh mozzarella, thinly sliced
- 1/2 loosely packed cup basil leaves
- Balsamic vinegar
1. Lightly brush both sides of bread with olive oil, sprinkle with sea salt, and toast in a medium nonstick pan over medium heat for approximately 2 to 3 minutes on each side.
2. On a clean work surface, top 3 bread slices each with 2 tomato slices, 2 slices mozzarella, and a few basil leaves. Drizzle on balsamic vinegar to taste, and top with remaining bread slices.
3. In a medium sauté pan over medium heat, add 1 teaspoon olive oil, and place assembled sandwiches in the pan. To make a homemade panini press, place another sauté pan on top of sandwiches, add a few heavy cans on top, and press down. Cook for approximately 2 to 3 minutes, flip, and repeat.
Recipe adapted from The Bikini Body Diet by Tara Kraft. Copyright Zinczenko/AMI Ventures, 2013.