- Skill Level: Beginner
- Serves: 2
- Start to Finish: 20 minutes
- Prep: 10 minutes
- Cook: 10 minutes
- 43mg Sodium
- 32g Carbs
- 8g Fiber
- 9g Fat
- 1g Saturated Fat
- 11g Protein
- 4mg Iron
Serve this zesty Italian dish as an appetizer, or pair it with a bowl of soup for lunch.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1/2 cup low-sodium chicken brother (or vegetable stock)
- 15-ounce canned white beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Zest 1 lemon
- 8 slices (1/2 inch thick) whole-wheat baguette, toasted
- 2 plum tomato, cut into 8 slices
- 1/4 cup pine nuts, toasted
1. Combine olive oil and onion in a medium skillet. Sauté over medium for about 5 minutes or until onion is tender. Add rosemary, broth, and beans to the onions. Simmer gently for another 5 minutes or until broth is reduced and thickened.
2. Remove from heat and season to taste with salt and pepper, if desired. Fold in parsley and lemon zest.
3. Top each baguette slice with a tomato slice and 2 tablespoons of the bean mixture.
4. Garnish with pine nuts and serve.