- Skill Level: Beginner
- Serves: 6
- Start to Finish: less than 2 hours
- 900mg Sodium
- 60g Carbs
- 11g Fiber
- 6g Fat
- 1g Saturated Fat
- 19g Sugars
- 11g Protein
- 177mg Calcium
- 4mg Iron
This delicious dish comes from The Naked Chef, a cookbook by Jamie Oliver. When Kelly Ripa makes this soup, she substitutes a 15-ounce can of chickpeas for the pasta.
- 10 large ripe plum tomatoes (or 2 14-ounce cans tomatoes, drained)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 leeks, outer leaves removed, chopped
- 5 ribs celery, chopped
- 2 red onions, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely sliced
- 1 heaped tablespoon chopped rosemary
- 3 cups ham, chicken, or vegetable stock
- 1 cabbage, chopped
- 3 handfuls basil, torn
- 6 ounces spaghetti
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- Grated Parmesan cheese
1. Score tomatoes and place briefly in boiling water. Remove from water, skin, seed, and roughly dice.
2. Pour olive oil into a warmed thick-bottomed pan and cook carrots, leeks, celery, onion, garlic, and rosemary over medium heat until just tender, about 15 minutes. Add tomatoes and cook 1 to 2 minutes. Add stock, bring to a boil, and simmer for 15 minutes, skimming if necessary. Add cabbage, cover the pan, and simmer for 10 minutes. Add and pasta, and simmer for 5 more minutes or longer. Taste and season. (Soup should be quite thick, full in flavor, and cabbage shouldn't be overcooked—you want to retain its deep color.) Serve with peppery extra-virgin olive oil and fresh Parmesan.
*Nutritional information includes 1/8 teaspoon added salt per serving but does not include additional olive oil or Parmesan cheese.