- Skill Level: Beginner
- Serves: 2
- Start to Finish: less than 30 minutes
- Prep: 5 minutes
- Cook: 10 to 12 minutes
- 680mg Sodium
- 61g Carbs
- 7g Fiber
- 16g Fat
- 3g Saturated Fat
- 4g Sugars
- 17g Protein
- 7mg Calcium
- 1mg Iron
This light pasta, infused with a nutty, toasty flavor, is sure to excite your taste buds. For a brown-bag lunch, combine the leftovers with a 6-ounce can of salmon (drained), 1/2 cup diced tomato, and 1 to 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar. Place 2 red lettuce leaves in the bottom of a sealable container and top with mixture. Seal and refrigerate until ready to eat.
- 4 ounces whole-wheat pasta spirals (or any shape)
- 3 tablespoons medium-granulation kasha (roasted buckwheat)
- 1 egg white or 2 tablespoons refrigerated egg whites
- Cooking spray
- 1/2 cup fat-free chicken broth
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup prepared pesto (such as Buitoni)
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1. Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and cover with foil; set aside.
2. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine kasha and egg white. Stir to coat kasha. Spray a small saucepan with cooking spray and set over medium-high heat. Add kasha and cook 2 to 3 minutes until egg is cooked and kasha kernels separate. Add broth, salt, and pepper; cover and simmer 7 minutes until liquid is absorbed. Add kasha to pasta and stir.
3. Whisk together pesto and lemon juice. Pour mixture over pasta and stir to coat. Serve warm or at room temperature.