From cheesy pizza to chocolate truffles, there’s tons more to do with this ingredient than replacing sour cream and mayo. See for yourself with these savory recipes.
- Skill Level: Beginner
- Serves: 6
- Start to Finish: less than 30 minutes
- 889mg Sodium
- 41g Carbs
- 2g Fiber
- 24g Fat
- 4.5g Saturated Fat
- 7g Sugars
- 12g Protein
- 254mg Calcium
- 3mg Iron
- 2 cups unbleached, all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup plain nonfat Greek yogurt
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 cup light olive oil
1. In a large mixing bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon. Set aside.
2. In another mixing bowl, whisk together milk and yogurt. Stir in egg yolks, applesauce, and oil. Whisk to combine well.
3. In a third bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks form.
4. Pour milk mixture into dry mixture. Stir gently to combine (some dry bits are okay). Fold in egg whites until evenly dispersed. Cook in a waffle maker according to the manufacturer’s directions.
*Nutrition information based on 2 waffles per serving.
Recipe provided by Jessica Fisher of Goodcheapeats.com