- Skill Level: Beginner
- Serves: 6
- Start to Finish: less than 30 minutes
- 644mg Sodium
- 44g Carbs
- 14g Fat
- 9g Saturated Fat
- 11g Sugars
- 8g Protein
- 214mg Calcium
- 2 cups flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar, plus more for sprinkling
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 7 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut in to small cubes and kept cold
- 1 cup plain nonfat Greek yogurt, plus more for brushing (Symon recommends Dannon Oikos)
- 1/4 cup whole milk
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
2. Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, sugar, and lemon zest in a bowl. Add butter and work into flour mixture until it resembles coarse crumbs.
3. In a small bowl, whisk together yogurt and milk. Add to flour and butter mixture. Stir just until dough comes together, then knead, being sure not to over work it. Dough will be slightly sticky when finished.
4. Turn dough out on to a floured surface and press out to 3/4-inch thickness. Cut into rounds (use a circle cutter or a drinking glass), pressing straight down and not twisting. Lay biscuits onto a baking sheet. Brush tops with a little bit of yogurt, then sprinkle with sugar. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes until light golden brown.
Recipe courtesy of Michael Symon / Dannon Oikos