Wondering how you can fit delicious Mexican food into your low fat diet? First, skip the Chicken Burrito with 1,530 calories and 68 grams of fat!
In theory, chicken, beans, and rice make for healthy meals. But restaurants serve them in a football-size portion alongside a glob of sour cream. So, instead:
- Pick Chicken Fajita: Feast on the sizzling chicken, onion, and pepper dish for just 330 calories and 11 grams of fat. Half a tortilla adds another 200 calories.
- For even healthier meals on the go, choose one Chicken Soft Taco with 210 calories and 11 grams of fat.
Watch out for Tortilla Chips! Just 15 of these triangles pack 192 calories and 10 grams of fat.
When including Japanese food in your low fat diet, remember that “tempura” means battered and deep fried.
So, when planning your healthy meals:
- Skip Shrimp Tempura Roll (544 calories, 13 grams of fat).
- Pick Miso Soup, a Salmon-Avocado Roll, and a Cucumber Roll (525 calories, 12 grams of fat). Salmon's omega-3 fatty acids and the avocado's monounsaturated fats both protect your heart.
- Even healthier, choose Salmon Sashimi. Subbing this rice-free choice for a roll will save you 140 calories and 3 grams of fat.
Watch out for Spicy Sauce in your low fat diet! A tablespoon of this condiment has 99 calories and 11 grams of fat.
Looking for low calorie brunch suggestions at the local diner?
Here are our recommendations for your healthy meals:
- Skip French Toast with Syrup and Sausage (1,260 calories, 65 grams of fat). You'll take in 26 grams of saturated fat.
- Pick Two Eggs, Fruit Salad, and an English Muffin for your low calorie brunch (470 calories, 22 grams of fat). This combo provides enough protein to power you through the morning.
- Even healthier: choose Egg Whites or an Egg Substitute. The switch trims 108 calories and 9 grams of fat.
Watch out for butter when planning your low calorie brunch. A pat adds up to 100 calories, so ask for a dry English muffin and spread on jam.
[header = Healthy Chinese food and healthy Italian food: here are the best choices.]
Healthy Chinese food – Italian, too!
Love Italian food but wanting to stay on your low fat diet? Choose from our healthy Italian food recommendations.
Definitely skip the Chicken Parmesan (1,340 calories, 78 grams of fat). Although chicken is lean, it isn’t when it's fried and smothered in cheese. Instead, for healthy Italian food:
- Pick Minestrone (100 calories, 1 gram of fat). Order it with a half serving of Spaghetti Marinara (410 calories, 8 grams of fat). Research shows that a soup starter can help curb your appetite – and your calorie intake.
- Even healthier is Pasta Primavera with Red Sauce: Request the dish with extra vegetables.
Watch out for Garlic Bread. If you add two small slices to your healthy Italian food, you’ll be adding 273 calories and 11 grams of fat.
Shape has done the research so that you can order healthy Chinese food for your low fat diet and your healthy meals on the go.
Whatever you do, make sure you skip the Kung Pao Chicken. With 1,620 calories and 76 grams of fat, one serving has more fat than two Big Macs and a side of fries.
For healthy Chinese food choices, select:
- Szechuan Shrimp of Shrimp and Garlic Sauce (465 calories, 10 grams of fat for half a serving). Because most of the oil and sugar is found in the sauce, ask for it on the side and drizzle a little over the top.
- For an even healthier choice for your low fat diet, order Steamed Chicken and Broccoli. This satisfying dish has just 280 calories and 12 grams of fat.
Watch out for Egg Rolls: Hold this fried extra to save 190 calories.