- Skill Level: Beginner
- Serves: 5
- Start to Finish: Less than 2 hours
- Prep: 30 minutes
- Cook: 30 minutes
- 489mg Sodium
- 46g Carbs
- 6g Fiber
- 15g Fat
- 5g Saturated Fat
- 2g Sugars
- 30g Protein
- 120mg Calcium
- 6mg Iron
- 1/4 teaspoon canola oil
- 1/4 teaspoon chopped garlic
- 1/4 cup each finely diced carrots, red pepper, celery, and onion
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pound 90 percent lean ground beef
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan
- 1/4 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup cooked brown lentils
- 2 cups packed spinach leaves, steamed, drained, and chopped
- Cooking spray
- 6 small Yukon Gold potatoes, halved
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- Fresh parsley
2. Heat oil in a sauté pan over medium heat. Add garlic and all vegetables except spinach and sauté for 4 minutes. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
3. In a large bowl, break up beef well with your hands. Stir in cooked vegetables, Parmesan, broth, and egg. Add lentils and mix. Add spinach and mix again. Season with salt and pepper.
4. Coat a 3- by 8-inch loaf pan with cooking spray. Place meat mixture in pan and push down. Bake 35 minutes or until internal temperature reaches 140°F.
5. Meanwhile, to make the potatoes, fill a large saucepan with water. Add potatoes and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Cook for 30 minutes or until fork-tender. Drain well and place in a large bowl. Mash potatoes with a fork. Drizzle with oil and season with salt and pepper.
6. Let meat loaf rest in the pan for 15 minutes before slicing, then serve with potatoes topped with parsley.