- Skill Level: Intermediate
- Serves: 8
- Start to Finish: Less than 1 hour
- Prep: 5 min.
- Cook: 55-60 min.
- 344mg Sodium
- 63g Carbs
- 4g Fiber
- 11g Fat
- 2g Saturated Fat
- 25g Sugars
- 12g Protein
- 53mg Calcium
- 4mg Iron
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 1 cup uncooked millet
- 2 1/2 cups water, or more as needed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 large eggs (preferably omega-3 enriched, such as Gold Circle Farms or Eggland's Best), lightly beaten
- 3 scallions, minced (green and white portion)
- 1 cup coarsely chopped cashews, lightly toasted*
- 1 12-ounce can frozen apple juice concentrate, thawed
- 1 1/2 cups balsamic vinegar
2. Combine quinoa and millet in a fine-mesh strainer and rinse several times under running water. Shake strainer to remove excess water and transfer grains to a large saucepan. Add water and set pan over high heat. Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat to low and simmer 20 minutes, until grains are tender, adding more water as necessary to prevent sticking.
3. Transfer cooked quinoa and millet mixture to a large bowl, add salt and fluff with a fork. Add to the bowl beaten eggs, minced scallions and toasted, chopped cashews; then mix well. Spoon mixture into prepared baking dish and level the top with the back of a spoon. Bake 35-40 minutes, until the top is golden and slightly crisp.
4. Meanwhile, to make the Apple-Balsamic Drizzle, combine apple juice concentrate and vinegar in a shallow, wide saucepan. Set pan over high heat and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered, 30-35 minutes, until mixture is reduced by slightly more than half (making about 1 cup). Remove from heat and cool slightly.
5. When ready to serve, cut kugel into 8 squares and spoon Apple-Balsamic Drizzle over top.