- Skill Level: Beginner
- Serves: 6
- Start to Finish: less than 1 hour
- Prep: 35 minutes
- Cook: 10 minutes
- 555mg Sodium
- 29g Carbs
- 6g Fiber
- 8g Fat
- 2g Saturated Fat
- 18g Sugars
- 21g Protein
- 205mg Calcium
- 3mg Iron
Try this for a nutritious dinner. Chicken is a source of lean protein, and greens and figs add a dose of iron. Oranges brim with vitamin C, which boosts the immune system and fights cancer, plus citrus contains the antioxidants taxifolin and rutin, as well as folate, which also abounds in the arugula.
- 3 1/2 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken-breast halves, cut into bite-sized chunks
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 6 tablespoons orange juice
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 18 cups cleaned, trimmed arugula leaves
- 3 cups thinly sliced fennel
- 3 oranges, peeled, sectioned, and sliced into chunks
- 12 dried figs, chopped
- 6 pitted green olives, thinly sliced
- 2 ounces (about 1/4 cup) crumbled goat cheese
1. Warm 2 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Saute chicken for 2 minutes. Add garlic and cumin; saute for 2 minutes more. Reduce heat to low. Stir in orange juice, vinegar, and mustard. Slowly stir in remaining oil to make a warm dressing. Add salt and pepper to taste.
2. Divide arugula among 6 dinner plates. Sprinkle with fennel and oranges. Spoon warm chicken mixture over salad and top with figs, olives, and goat cheese.
*Nutritional information includes 1/8 teaspoon added salt per serving and 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast.