- Skill Level: Beginner
- Serves: 8
- Start to Finish: under 1 hour
- Prep: 15 mins
- Cook: 20 mins
- 281mg Sodium
- 12g Carbs
- 4g Fiber
- 73g Fat
- 11g Saturated Fat
- 4g Sugars
- 7g Protein
- 36mg Calcium
- 2mg Iron
- 2 1/2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 ounces pancetta or nitrate-free deli ham, diced
- 1 medium yellow onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 pound freshly shelled peas, or frozen baby peas
- 4 cups shredded romaine lettuce (use inner leaves)
- 3 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth, plus extra for thinning
1. Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add pancetta (or nitrate-free deli ham), onion, and celery, and sauté until onions are soft, about 8 minutes. Stir in peas and lettuce followed by the broth. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, and simmer until the peas are tender, about 5 minutes.
2. Transfer soup to a blender and process until chunky-smooth, adding more broth to thin, as necessary. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve either hot or cold.
*Nutritional information includes 1/2 teaspoon of added salt.