- Skill Level: Intermediate
- Serves: 32
- Start to Finish: under 4 hours
- Prep: 15 minutes
- Cook: 2 hours
- 17mg Sodium
- 9g Carbs
- 0g Fiber
- 1g Fat
- 0g Saturated Fat
- 9g Sugars
- 1g Protein
- 1mg Calcium
- 0mg Iron
Don't let the long cooking time put you off. These meringues are a snap to make and bake unattended.
- 16 red-and-white peppermint candy rounds
- 4 large egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 pinch coarse salt
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup baby chocolate chips
1. Preheat oven to 225 degrees. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper or aluminum foil (shiny side down).
2. Place candies in a heavy-duty zip-top plastic bag. Squeeze out air, seal, and, using a heavy-bottom small saucepan, crush well.
3. In a large bowl, beat egg whites, cream of tartar, and salt with a mixer until soft peaks form (about 2 minutes).
4. Reduce speed to low and put in 1 tablespoon of sugar at a time, beating for several seconds between each addition.
5. Increase speed to high and beat until stiff, glossy peaks form. Blend in crushed candies and chocolate chips.
6. Drop 16 well-rounded tablespoons of meringue onto each baking sheet, spacing them 1 inch apart. Bake 1 hour on the oven's top rack. Move cookie sheets to bottom rack and bake 1 more hour. Turn off oven; let meringues sit until oven is completely cool. Remove from baking sheets and store in airtight containers.